As I was out on my run this morning I began thinking about Grant and how quickly the past 3 years have gone. I can't believe he will be 3 tomorrow. I decided to spend my run thinking about my son and the past 3 years.
I thought about how long of a process it was to be able to have Grant. I never imagined getting pregnant would have taken so long for me. Even though I can recall all of those hard times, the hurt, the emotional stress and the longing that I had to have a baby...those times seem so insignificant now. I knew in my heart that I was supposed to be a mom. I also knew that God did things in his time and in his way. And He definitely proved that by giving me Grant when He did. My family was going through such a traumatic time with trying to cope and healing from the sudden passing of my brother-in-law Russell. A month later I found out I was pregnant. Once I found out it all just clicked and made sense to me. This is how it was supposed to be. God knew that my family would need this precious gift to help us through this difficult time. He knew that my sister needed the special bond she has with my son to help her cope. It wasn't easy for her, but the moment she laid eyes on Grant a few minutes after he was born she has had a smile on her face that is reserved just for Grant. He loves her so much and I can't help but feel that there's a special piece of Russell in him. He loves to play with Russell's wedding band that hangs on a necklace on my sister's neck. He knows that it's Uncle Russell's ring and that it holds such great importance for my sister.
I thought about the time I spent in labor. The events that led up to arriving at the hospital and after. The painful contractions but then the wonderful feeling after receiving my epidural. The fast progression only to come to a halt because he turned face up. The reality of when the doctor told me I had to have a C-section and I cried. I purposefully didn't pay attention to that part in the labor class we took because I just knew I was going to have Grant the natural way. The talk that my dad gave me before going into surgery. The fast few minutes it took to get Grant out and to hear his cry. I believe my heart stopped. There he was...my Granty...just the way I dreamt him to be - blond hair and blue eyes with the sweetest face...the one I had prayed for for so long...the one I cried over and rejoiced over...the one that I knew would change my life forever. Once we found out he was a boy I knew (well before I was even thinking about children) that I would name him Grant, my maiden name. It's such a strong name and one that holds so many meanings. My dad has always said that I was 110% Grant. So why not name my son a name that holds such great importance. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't nervous when we brought him home. But the mother instincts had long since kicked in and we quickly became a family of 3 and had a daily routine.
I thought about his first year that held so many firsts..his first bath, rolling over, first tooth, first hug, first kiss, first word, crawling, clapping, first steps, first vacation, dancing and many others. I wanted to be there and capture it all. He went from being a fragile little baby to a fast moving one year old.
I thought about his second year that also held many firsts...not all great but definitely milestones I know I won't ever forget...first temper tantrum, first time biting someone, first haircut, first swimming lesson. The terrible twos reared its ugly head when he turned 18 months old. So the twos were at times not the biggest treat. But yet under all of that, my baby was quickly becoming a toddler.
Grant is very head strong. He's worse than Jeremiah and I combined. And that is definitely challenging at times. He doesn't always enjoy getting up in the mornings and when he does it takes almost an act of Congress to get him dressed to go to daycare. He's very opinionated. He wants what he wants when he wants it. He's not afraid to hit at you or tell you no or my personal favorite, no not eber! He loves drama. I swear he could win an academy award for it. He doesn't always listen well. I can't tell you how many times we go round and round with this one.
But, he loves unconditionally. He loves to give me hugs and kisses. He will tell me he loves me multiple times a day. My favorite is when he's sitting in my lap turns and says...ahh, mommy...love you too much. My heart melts. He smiles all the time. His voice is the sweetest I have ever heard. He plays so well with his toys. He goes to bed without arguing. He insists on us saying his prayers. He loves a blanket. He loves to snuggle. He loves to come to work with me and see Chauncey's house. He loves the iPad and iPhone. He helps me clean house. He loves the vacuum cleaner (I'm waiting for him to get big enough to vacuum himself...that will be his chore). He loves to play outside. He loves to play and watch football and basketball. He's pretty good with his golf clubs. He's devastated when the dogs eat his food or snacks. He loves to be barefooted. He loves to get in the car and ride. He loves the beach. He loves airplanes, helicopters, cars, trucks, tractors and motorcycles. He says, yes ma'am, thank you and please. He's a momma's boy! :)
All I ever wanted was to be a mom. When God gave me Grant I vowed to teach him to always choose the right...to love God...to be an example for him just like my parents have always been for me...to teach him manners because that will get him so far in life...to always be there to listen to him...to show him how much I love him so I never have to question whether he knew I did...to protect him...to provide for him...to have fun with him...to make him laugh...to hold him...to wipe his tears away...to kiss his scrapes and bruises...to be his friend...to hug and kiss him...to snuggle with him...to teach him how to be a man...how to treat a woman...to love others...to be kind...to be respectful...to always make a wish...to always be positive...to not sweat the small stuff...how to learn from a mistake...to live life to the fullest.
My Granty has been the best gift I have ever received. I'm so glad that I am his mom. Happy 3rd Birthday Little Boy! I hope your tractor party is all you hope it to be. Love you much!




No comments:
Post a Comment