On March 15, 2006 we adopted our first dog from the shelter. We were told that he came from an abusive home and had many wounds both physically and emotionally. He was abused by a male and didn't like men. We took him from a walk around the building to see if he liked Jeremiah. We sat in the grass with him and he climbed in both of our laps and licked us in the face. A few short minutes later, we were traveling home with our new dog.
Bailey was our only baby for so long. He quickly became a part of our family. He was always really protective over me. He followed me whereever I went. If I went into another room even for a few minutes he followed. He was deathly afraid of thunderstorms and fireworks. So much so that he would shake for hours and use the bathroom, everywhere! He didn't like unknown men stepping foot in the front door. He even bit a few a couple of times. If the doorbell rang he went crazy. If he heard a door slam outside he went on the defense. He only barked at night if he felt it was warranted and if I needed to be alert. He was protective over our children. He loved to lay with you on the couch. He would climb up in Grant's lap to get some attention. He loved when Grant made a pallet on the floor and he got to lay on it with him. He was just as excited to see me if I was gone for 5 minutes or 5 days. When we got Bella, she made him young again. She had him play again like he was a puppy. There's no doubt in my mind that she is the reason why he lived as long as he did.
Bailey's hips and back legs were bad. He got to the point where it was difficult to walk. I could tell a few weeks before Greycie was born that he was feeling and looking old. It just happened so fast. All of a sudden the light in those eyes weren't so bright anymore. Jeremiah would keep reminding me that we would have to make a decision at some point. I was adament that he was going to live as long as he could. I refused to talk about it. After Greycie was born, he kept going downhill a little everyday. I cried a little everyday. I knew the end was drawing near. In the last week of his life he wasn't jumping up on the couch like he had done for years. I knew when he stopped jumping that it wasn't going to be much longer. This past Sunday, myself and the kids came home from church. Bailey met us at the door like always did but he fell on his side and couldn't really get up. I picked him up and held him for a while. I made him a pallet on the floor so he could lay somewhere comfortably. Jeremiah and I both looked at each other coming to an emotional and silent conclusion...let's get him through the night and once Grant was at daycare we would go to the vet for the inevitable. I put him on the bed with me for an afternoon nap like I have done for almost every Sunday for the past 8 1/2 years. After I woke up to feed Greycie, Bailey let out this howl. It was a noise I had never heard before and I immediately knew that he was dying. I picked him up and felt his heartbeat slowing down drastically. I called Jeremiah to come to me and told him that Bailey was going. I held him in my arms and within 10 minutes he was gone. I would like to think he didn't suffer. I got to be with him until the end. He got to be at home with us. I did not want to take him to the vet and make the decision of putting him down. It made me sick knowing that he would die on a cold table. He got to go at home just the way I wanted him to. I sobbed over him while Jeremiah just held me close. My puppy was gone.
For some a pet is just that a pet. For others a pet is another member of the family. Bailey was that to me. He was family. He was my boy. And I miss him terribly. I have cried every day since Sunday for the loss of my sweet boy. My home is so empty without him. It's been a slap in the face everyday that he isn't here. But I also think of the good times I had with him. How he waited all day for me to get home and how excited he was that we were here. He couldn't wait for me to sit down so he could cuddle. That dog was made for me and I was meant to choose him that day at the shelter. The past 8 1/2 years with him have been a blessing. That is what I will choose to remember. The good times and what he meant to our family. I will miss that sweet face but I remember it with a smile. I love you bunches my Bailey boy. I hope you are pain free now.
No comments:
Post a Comment